The Easy & Essential Notes for Teaching and Studying "Future Tense"

The Easy & Essential Notes for Teaching and Studying "Future Tense"

FUTURE TENSE
The future tense is used when talking about something that will happen in the future. The future is formed by using models; will, shall, and 'be going to'.
The future tense is formed with will or shall and the verb's base form to express an action or state of being that will occur.

FORMS/CATEGORIES OF FUTURE TENSE
There are four forms of Future Tense.

1.      SIMPLE FUTURE TENSE

Positive sentences. Structure Pattern: S + will/shall + base form of verb
I will wash my clothes
She will cook ugali
They will play football
Contracted forms: Subject + 'ill
I'll wash my clothes
She'll cook ugali
They'll play football

Negative sentences. Structural pattern: S + will + not + base form of verb.
I will not wash my clothes
She will not cook ugali
They will not play football
Contracted forms 1: subject + will/shall
I'll not wash my clothes.
She'll not cook ugali.
They'll play football tomorrow.
Contracted Forms 2: Auxiliary will+ not:
I won't wash my clothes
She won't cook ugali
They won't play football

Interrogative Sentences: Structural pattern: Will/Shall + Subject + base form of verb
*Positive Interrogative Sentences. Structural pattern: Will/Shall + Subject + base form of verb
Will I wash my clothes?
Will Asha cook ugali?
Will they play football?
*Negative Interrogative Sentences. Structural pattern: Won't+ Subject + base form of verb.
Won't I wash my clothes?
Won't Asha cook ugali?
Won't they play football?

2.      FUTURE CONTINUOUS TENSE

Positive Sentences. Structural pattern: Subject + will/shall + be + present participle
I will be washing my clothes
She will be cooking cook ugali
They will playing football

Negative Sentences: Structural pattern: Subject + will/shall + be + present participle.
I will not be washing my clothes
She will not be cooking cook ugali
They will not be playing football

Interrogative Sentences. Structural pattern: Will/shall + subject + be + -ing.
*Positive Interrogative Sentences. Structural pattern: Will/shall + subject + be + -ing.
Will I be washing my clothes?
Will she be cooking cook ugali?
Will they be playing football?
*Negative Interrogative Sentences. Structural pattern: Won't+ subject + be + -ing.
Won't I be washing my clothes?
Won't she be cooking cook ugali?
Won't they be playing football?

3.      FUTURE PERFECT TENSE

Positive Sentences. Structural pattern: Subject + will/shall + has/have + past participle
I will have washed my clothes
She will has cooked ugali/She will have cooked ugali
They will have played football

Note: These are mostly used with prepositions of time. Examples.
By 16.00, I will have finished my homework.
Before evening, they will have arrived.

Negative Sentences. Structural pattern: Subject + will/shall + not + has/have + past participle
I will have not washed my clothes
She will has not cooked ugali/She will have cooked ugali
They will have not played football

Interrogative Sentences. Structural pattern: Will/shall + subject + has/have + past participle.
*Positive Interrogative Sentences. Structural pattern: Will/shall + subject + has/have + past participle.
Will I have washed my clothes?
Will she has cooked ugali/Will she have cooked ugali?
Will they have played football?
*Negative Interrogative Sentences. Structural pattern: Won't+ subject + has/have + past participle.
Won't I have washed my clothes?
Won't she has cooked ugali/Will she have cooked ugali?
Won't they have played football?

4.      FUTURE PERFECT CONTINUOUS TENSE

Positive Sentences: Structural pattern: Subject + will/shall + has/have + been + present participle
I will have been washing my clothes
She will has been cooking ugali/She will have been cooking ugali
They will have been playing football

Negative Sentences. Structural pattern: Subject + will/shall + not + has/have + been+ present participle
I will have not been washing my clothes
She will not has been cooking ugali/She will not have been cooking ugali
They will not have been playing football

Interrogative Sentences. Structural pattern: Will/shall/Won't + subject+ has/have + been+ past participle.
*Positive Interrogative Sentences.  Structural pattern: Won't+ subject+ has/have +been + past participle.
Will I have been washing my clothes?
Will she has been cooking ugali/Will she have been cooking ugali?
Will they have been playing football?
*Negative Interrogative Sentences. Structural pattern: Won't + subject + has/have + been + past participle.
Won't I have been washing my clothes?
Won't she has been cooking ugali/Will she have been cooking ugali?
Won't they have been playing football?

OTHER FUTURE TENSE USAGE
Future tense can also be expressed in other various ways:

DECISIONS, INTENTIONS AND ARRANGEMENTS
In making decisions, intentions and arrangements, the sentences in future tense express something which has been decided, intended or arranged.
I'm going home now
The people will be leaving the conference
I'm staying in tonight
We are to be patient
We are to be informed by post
Will you be staying long?

PREDICTIONS
We can also make predictions by using future tense.
That dog is going to cause problem if it's untied.
There won't be light before 6 a.m.
That player is going to be booked.
He will have had the operation by next month.
I will have had taken the vacation.
They will have been travelling for eight months by the end of May.
Teachers will have been taking teaching break by December.
(Future perfect continuous tense expressing predictions)

EXPRESSING FUTURE IN THE PAST
The future action expressed in the past is the action that was about to happen but something obstructed it.
I was going to tell you about it but I failed.
I was about to tell you something when the door was knocked.
They were about to start the game but the weather changed.
The results were due to come out
The cargo was due to have arrived this morning.

OTHER WAYS OF EXPRESSING THE FUTURE
Other ways used to express future plans are introduced by some special words. The mostly used words are: due and about.
The train is due to start the journey.
The President is about to leave.
Road construction is due to start in May.
Hurry! We're about to leave.
We'll leave when the rain has stopped.


WHAT IS YOUR OPINION?
This article is about how to study and teach "Future Tense". As a student or teacher, what is your opinion on how to study and teach this sub topic/lesson?
Your opinion is worth and I believe that it can make these materials better for our own consumption.
For more materials, you can always access 'O' Level English - OLE any time!
You are Welcome!

Emmanuel Kachele

Emmanuel Kachele is a founder and Blogger of KACHELE ONLINE Blog, an educational blog where 'O' Level English - 'OLE', 'A' Level English (ALE) and other related teaching and life skills are shared extensively. This is an online center for all Tanzanian Secondary School English Language students and teachers (Forms I-VI) and all interested English Language learners and teachers worldwide.

Post a Comment

Please share your thoughts

Previous Post Next Post