How to Teach TALKING ABOUT ACCIDENTS in Form Two.

How to Teach TALKING ABOUT ACCIDENTS in Form Two.

Form Two 
In teaching Talking about events,
Learn these COMPREHENSIVE TEACHING IDEAS on….

How to Teach the Sub topic, Talking about events
For Form Two.

UNIT 3:2

GENERAL INTRODUCTION

The aim of this sub topic is to help students be able to narrate what took place in an accident. In our residences we often witness various accidents. Hence, this sub topic aims at allowing the students to use these moments and narrate what they saw in particular accidents. This helps them to get some vocabularies that are associated with these natural or manmade tragedies.

A: INFORMATION OF THE TOPIC:
1. Main Topic 2: TALKING ABOUT EVENTS.
2. Sub Topic 2: Talking about accidents.
3. Periods per sub topic: 10
4: Class: Form Two.
B: HOW TO TEACH THE TOPIC:

-ACTIVITIES & GAMES TO FACILITATE A LESSON:

Activity 1: TELL YOUR ACCIDENT STORY TO THE STUDENTS.

To be more interactive, a teacher provides a model and students are given time to prepare their own accident stories.
  • Try to think of something that is not too serious. In your story, try to be funny.
  •   Students need a pen and paper in front of them. Tell the students to sit relax and that you are going to tell a true story. Then tell your accident story.
  •  Give the students 3 minutes and ask them to pick their favourite moment of the story.
  • Ask the students to work in pairs and retell the story together. If there are pictures use them to help them.
Activity 2: LET THEM TELL THEIR ACCIDENT STORIES
  • Tell students to think of their own accident stories. Tell students to write down 8-10 keywords for their story. Tell them that these are the only words they will be able to look at when they tell the story. During this preparation stage encourage students to ask you for any new vocabulary they might need. Allow 5 - 10 minutes. Examples of keywords for accident story can be: street, on the road, home, fall, fire extinguisher, fireman, fire engine, suffocate, drown, and sinkExamples of phrases and sentences for accident story can be: ….was injured; taken to hospital;…..called for an ambulance; was examined by a doctor; …. Was unconscious; Many people escaped unhurt; …. Fell from a tree;….. catch fire; etc.
  •   Ask the students to work in pairs and tell their partner the story. This gives them a chance to practise their story before they talk to the class as well as a final opportunity to check vocabulary.
  •  Tell students that they will tell their story and listen to the other stories. They must listen and decide which their favourite story is. Students mingle freely and tell stories.
Also for the Form Two level, a teacher can use the written texts to test the students’ ability to organize a text into correct order by using various methods. The following activities are aimed at testing students into various activities like spelling and grammar.

Activity 3: USING THE TEXT

Below is a teacher’s original text. This text can be read to test students’ ability to listen and comprehend the message. It can also be written on the blackboard to test the students’ ability to fill and re-write it in order to bring about the cohesive and grammatical text.

TEACHER’S TEXT.
I wonder how many accidents I’ve had in my life. I’ve had a few serious ones where I’ve ended up in hospital. Traffic accidents are the worst. They’re always painful. I haven’t had too many work-related accidents. I suppose that’s because I do office work and that’s not so dangerous. Most of my accidents are those around the house. I’ve lost count of the number of times I’ve hit my thumb with a hammer. I’m also really good at standing up and hitting my head on something. I’m not as bad as my friend though. He’s a real accident looking for somewhere to happen. Almost every time we meet, he has some story to tell about his latest accident. He’s quite unbelievable. I think I’d be very worried if I were his mother.

Thus, by using the original text above, a teacher can conduct various activities like these below:


Activity 4: LISTENING GAP FILL

A teacher may present his/her original text to the students by writing it on the blackboard but with a lot of gaps like this below, and then ask the students to fill in the gaps as you read the full text without skipping the gaps.
A teacher lets students copy the text with gaps, and then he/she reads the full text. The students now should fill the gaps as they listen to the teacher.

STUDENTS’ TEXT.
I ____________ how many accidents I’ve had in my life. I’ve had a few serious ones where I’ve ended up in ____________ .Traffic accidents are the worst. They’re always painful. I ____________ had too many work-related accidents. I suppose that’s because I do ____________ work and that’s not so dangerous. Most of my accidents are those around the house. I’ve lost count of the ____________ of times I’ve hit my thumb with a hammer. I’m also really good at standing up and ____________ my head on something. I’m not as bad as my friend ____________. He’s a real accident looking for somewhere to happen. Almost every time we meet, he has some story to tell about his ____________ accident. He’s ____________ unbelievable. I think I’d be very ____________ if I were his mother.

At the end of this process, the teacher should now correct the students or give them the correct version for them to correct their works.

Activity 5: CONDUCT SPELLING CORRECTION

Another activity involves students now to use the full text, the text that has been filled already above to do another activity: Spelling Checking activity.
In this text, the underlined words have incorrect spellings. So the students can be given this, so as to make sure they re-write the misspelt words into correct spellings.

I rewodn how many accidents I’ve had in my life. I’ve had a few serious ones where I’ve dende up in hospital. Traffic accidents are the worst. They’re always
alpfiun. I haven’t had too many work-related accidents. I spsoeup that’s because I do office work and that’s not so dsgoeuarn . Most of my accidents are those around the house. I’ve lost count of the number of times I’ve hit my hbutm with a hammer. I’m also really good at ngsniatd up and hitting my head on something. I’m not as bad as my friend htgouh. He’s a real accident looking for somewhere to eappnh. Almost every time we meet, he has some story to tell about his latest accident. He’s quite lleuveabebin . I think I’d be very worried if I were his mother.

Activity 6: UNJUMBLE THE WORDS

In the activity like this, a teacher tests the students’ ability to write correct grammatical sentences out of jumbled or mixed up words.
In this text, the underlined sentences are jumbled, that is, mixed up words in the line. The students can find out the right and correct order of the words in the text so as to bring about a meaningful text.

I wonder how many accidents my had life in I’ve . I’ve had a few serious ones
up I’ve in ended where hospital. Traffic accidents are the worst. They’re always painful. I haven’t had too many work-related accidents. I suppose that’s work do because office I and that’s not so dangerous. Most of my accidents are those around the house. count lost I’ve number the of of times I’ve hit my thumb with a hammer. I’m also really good at head my hitting and up standing on something. I’m not as bad as my friend though. He’s a real accident for happen somewhere looking to . Almost every time we meet, he has some story to tell about his latest accident. He’s quite unbelievable. worried very be I’d think I if I were his mother.

At the end of this process, a teacher can provide the correct version of the correct sentences so that students can have their works corrected.

6: CONNECTION: Beyond the Sub Topic. This sub topic has various cross-cutting aspects of English language teaching. When you look at the text you can see a lot or contractions like ‘I’ve’ and ‘I’m’. These can be applied by a teacher purposefully to let students understand their usage. The sub topic also helps students to cover the aspects of Spelling, Grammar, and Vocabulary. Apart from that, the sub topic also improves listening, listening, speaking and writing.
7: NOTE: After these activities, students can be put into pairs or groups in order for them to ask questions for each other. This can make them more interacted.

HOMEWORKS
  • Ask students to write about accidents for 10 minutes. Let them exchange their paper to correct each other’s work.
  • Make a poster about accidents. Draw some pictures about accidents or ask the students who know how to draw to draw them then ask students to narrate what happen in the pictures of series of pictures at your poster.


REFERENCES

FOR FULL FORM TWO ENGLISH LANGUAGE NOTES, CHECK OUT OUR BOOK:

BOOK DETAILS:
Title: “Form Two English Language Notes with Grammar, Exercises and Key Answers”
Edition:
 1st (2022)
Format: PDF
Size: 2.70 MB
Pages: 181
Printable: Yes
Preview of the Book: Click the link below:
https://www.kacheleonline.co.tz/2022/09/form-two-english-language-notes-with.html
Terms and Conditions:
https://www.kacheleonline.co.tz/p/terms-and-conditions.html

  • Get the Full Form Two English Language Notes Here or reach us through the contacts below:

Call/SMS: +255622 009 566/+255765 884 936
WhatsApp: +255622 009 566/+255765 884 936 
 
CHECK OUT: ALL OUR BOOKS:

INCLUDING THE FOLLOWING TITLES:

 

 

OR Contact us:

Call/SMS: +255622 009 566/+255765 884 936

WhatsApp: +255622 009 566/+255765 884 936

Facebook & Instagram: @mannykachele
Emailkacheleonline@gmail.com



Emmanuel Kachele

Emmanuel Kachele is a founder and Blogger of KACHELE ONLINE Blog, an educational blog where 'O' Level English - 'OLE', 'A' Level English (ALE) and other related teaching and life skills are shared extensively. This is an online center for all Tanzanian Secondary School English Language students and teachers (Forms I-VI) and all interested English Language learners and teachers worldwide.

Post a Comment

Please share your thoughts

Previous Post Next Post